Thursday, September 11, 2008


LIBERTY Professionals put up a plucky performance to maintain their leadership on the Glo Top 4 tournament when they fought Asante Kotoko to a 1-1 drawn game at the Baba Yara Stadium in Kumasi yesterday night.
Kotoko Coach, Bashir Hayford, kept faith with his Africa squad but their efforts were not enough to avenge the 2-1defeat they suffered at the hands of the visitors in the first leg in Accra.
The game flowed beautifully and for once Kumasi fans had something to cheer about in the competition.
When Eric Bekoe failed to connect Jordan Opoku's right-sided cross in the 8th minute, Liberty organised to put themselves in the game and Tuah Khemix, Yaw Antwi and Mustapha Essuman probed for the leader.
Determined never to allow Liberty to repeat their Accra feat, Kotoko fought back fiercely switching play to the flanks but keeper Daniel Agyei of Liberty was in superb form to save the day.
The keeper scored full marks in the 37th minute stopping a three-prong attack from Bekoe, Kuffuor and Jordan.
Prowling in the Liberty area, Bekoe was fed with a cross in the 44th minute and provided a piercing header, which hit the post.
Kwadwo Poku substituted Osei Kuffuor who appeared clumsy on the night and the striker's trademark surging runs on the flanks began to tell positively on the Kotoko game.
But it was Liberty who fetched the leader with a superb goal from Tuah Khemix after Eric Boakye had done the spadework for him in the 66th minute.
The goal scorer, who was a constant threat to Kotoko was shown the red card three minutes to time for a second bookable offence.
He, however, delayed the game for about four minutes as he defiantly refused to leave the field as officials and security personnel looked on helplessly.
With their pride at stake, Kotoko brought fire into the game with Inkoom doing some brilliant runs from the back to feed the attack.
It came as no surprise when Bekoe levelled up for Kotoko in the 72nd minute connecting a left sided cross from close range.

No comments: