Sunday, January 11, 2009

WHERE IS KUFFUOR HEADING?... As contract with Kotoko runs out next week (GRAPHIC SPORTS, LEAD STORY, JAN 9)

Kumasi Asante Kotoko ace striker, Emmanuel Osei Kuffour, says he will not rush into renewing his contract when it runs out next week.
Despite overtures made by the Kotoko management to re-negotiate the contract, the veteran player, nicknamed ‘General’ because of his leadership qualities, insists he would wait a while “to see things clear”.
Kuffour, who has been missing in action lately, told the Graphic Sports yesterday that in football a player had to take a lot of things into consideration before taking major decisions.
"I love Asante Kotoko and I must say that I have enjoyed my days with the club. But I can't stand up and say I am going to sign a contract without seeing my way clear, he said
"I am weighing the option of renewing the contract and joining a foreign side," explained the striker who joined the Porcupine Warriors in 2006.
Media reports in the latter part of the last football season linked him to a club in North Africa but that move did not materialise.
Asked whether any foreign club had expressed interest in him, the offensive midfielder was not ready to give a definite answer.
"I'm not in a position to say this club or that club out there has expressed interest in me, but at the moment I want to complete my contract with Kotoko before you will hear from me," Osei Kuffour said.
Kuffour had not seen playing time with the club this season but explained that he had been training with the club under the tutelage of Maurice Cooreman
He was instrumental in the club's impressive performance in both the local league and the continental championship last season.
However, his absence on the field had led many to question whether he had fallen out of favour with the club.
But the experienced player indicated that he related well with everybody in the club.
"I am doing serious training to keep me in shape. Football is my business and I have to be serious with it,” he said.

No comments: