Tuesday, October 19, 2010


A 25-year-old teacher of the D.A. Primary School at Wiawso in the Ahafo Ano South District in the Ashanti Region, who allegedly strangled his two-year-old child to death, has been arrested by the Mankranso Police.
The suspect, Raymond Messesah, who was said to have committed the act over marital problems with his wife, was also alleged to have dumped the body of the boy in a pit latrine.
The police picked up the suspect as he attempted to escape after the crime.
A source at the Ashanti Regional Public Relations Office of the Ghana Police Service told the Daily Graphic that the suspect’s father too was arrested for allegedly attempting to shield his son.
The remains of the deceased, Kelvin Clalan Messesah, which were discovered with the head inside the shallow pit and the legs protruding from it, have been deposited at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital morgue for autopsy.
The wife, Janet Abiti, who lives in Hohoe, had visited her husband with their child, in the hope of patching up their differences.
According to the police, Raymond lived at Kunsu and taught at the Wiawso D.A. Primary School.
On October 15, 2010, Janet, with her son, visited her husband at Kunsu.
In the afternoon of the day, Raymond returned from town with a tuber of yam and asked the woman to prepare it to be eaten with some stew he had in his refrigerator.
After cooking the yam, the man refused to eat it, insisting that the woman and the child rather should eat it, but they refused the suggestion.
The police continued that the suspect went out in the night and returned about 9 p.m. refusing pleas by the woman to sleep by her on the matrimonial bed.
The police said the woman was disturbed about the state of their marriage and was hoping to get the man to forget about the past while they slept together.
Raymond, however, picked the child and slept by him on the bed while the woman slept on a student’s mattress placed on the floor.
At dawn on Saturday, Janet woke up to ask Raymond how the child was doing and the answer the man gave her was that the child had gone out.
According to the police, when the woman realised that the child was not on the bed she went out in search of him but could not found him.
A confrontation ensued between the couple as the woman demanded the whereabouts of the child.
At a point the man threatened to kill the woman if she kept pestering him for the child.
Sensing foul play, the woman went to the Mankranso Police Station to lodge a complaint that her child was missing.
While the police were going to the man’s house with Janet, they met the Unit Committee Chairman of Kunsu, who told them that some people had seen the remains of a child in a pit latrine in the town.
The woman later identified the child as her son and when the police went to the house of the suspect he had locked his door but they spotted him at the lorry park looking for a vehicle to leave the town.

No comments: