Thursday, January 6, 2011


By Kwame Asare Boadu

Now Daddy Lumba is free. The celebrated musician can walk the sreets of Kumasi without fear of being physically or verbally attacked by aggrieved fans following his stupendous performance in a re-scheduled homecoming live concert in Kumasi on New Year’s Day.
Only a few days earlier the Asante-born musician had to escape the wrath of hundreds of disappointed home-grown fans in Kumasi after he failed to perform due to what he complained of as faulty equipment.
This time, it was different. He was in full swing, treating the fans to some of his best hits at the Royal Lamerta Hotel.
For the first time, Lumba spent about two hours on stage and even though there were few technical hiccups, the atmosphere and the aftermath comments pointed to a good measure of satisfaction from the fans. As he dished out one song after the other, yells of “more, more” resounded through the arena and he responded positively.
Backed by Accra-based band, Perfect Melodies, Lumba kept the good number of patrons off their seats to dance to melodious tunes. Some of the songs that kept the show alive were Woho Kyere, Biribi Gyegye Wo, Aben Woha, Menya Mpo and Akoma Da Akoma So.
Angel FM’s Kwame Adinkra who was the MC for the night, was at his performing best, keeping the show alive with a delivery of breathtaking quality.
Fans who were able to produce the tickets purchased for the first show were given free entry but those who went to the gates without the old tickets were made to pay. But there were no complaints. The road to the Royal Lamerta Hotel was barricaded at the Atinga Junction to ensure that tight security was maintained.
Ghanaian hiplife/hiphop group, Bradez, supported the show with a superb performance.
Last week, Daddy Lumba had to escape under security protection after his planned live show was called off. He complained of faulty technical equipment but the fans who had paid between GH¢30 and GH¢50 for the show would not take his explanation. They attempted to attack him but the musician was able to sneak out. The fans then turned their attention at the hotel where they destroyed property.
Some disappointed patrons threatened legal action against the musician and organisers of the event. Some 100 of the angry fans accused Home Proud Entertainment; organisers of the event, of breaching their part of the contract and decided to take the matter to court.
The concert organisers apologised to patrons for the no-show incident and said that they take full responsibility for the unfortunate incident, absolving the artiste and the hotel of any wrong doing. They promised that Daddy Lumba was committed to resolving the impasse by re-staging the concert. He did.
Still some fans appear not happy. Francis Dodovi, a spokesman of the disappointed fans told Graphic Showbiz last Tuesday that, even though the musician honoured his promise by re-staging the show their decision to go to court was still pending as, among other issues, patrons who lost their tickets for the first show were made to pay again.

No comments: