Monday, November 30, 2009

BISHOP OBINIM IS HOT...Accused of sending someone to perform rituals in rival's camp (1b, NOV 30)

THERE was drama at the Suame Police Station in Kumasi last Saturday when a former confidant of the Head of the International God’s Way Church, Bishop Daniel Obinim, invoked the Ashanti river deity, Antoa Nyamaa, to curse the bishop for denying that he had once sent him (the confidant) to perform some rituals at a rival’s prayer camp in Kumasi.
Frank Annor, who claimed to have worked with the bishop not long ago, alleged that Bishop Obinim had asked him to bury suspected human bones, a dead snake and candles at the prayer camp of Rev. Ebenezer Adarkwa-Yiadom of the Ebenezer Prayer Ministry at Ahenema Kokoben in Kumasi.
Bishop Obinim and Rev. Adarkwa-Yiadom, two popular men of God in Kumasi, recently engaged each other in a war of words on radio and television over which of them was the more powerful and who was the true man of God.
The Suame District Police Commander, Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) Kwaku Duah, told the Daily Graphic last Saturday that Bishop Obinim was being investigated for a conspiracy to attack Annor.
Bishop Obinim was summoned to the police station over a complaint Annor had lodged against him and three of Obinim’s junior pastors for an attack on him (Annor).
Bishop Obinim denied ever knowing Annor or sending him to perform any rituals, but Annor, in the full glare of the police and onlookers, invoked Antoa Nyamaa to “deal” with the bishop for denying his story.
DSP Duah said the bishop was granted bail after his caution statement had been taken and was requested by the police to produce the other suspects in the case for investigations to continue.
He said the police would initially deal with the case of attempted attack on Annor but when the bones were proved to be human parts, the police would move into that area for further investigations.
According to the district commander, Annor alleged that he had been contracted by Bishop Obinim about a month ago to bury the bones, a dead snake and some candles at the Ebenezer Prayer Centre for a fee of GH¢4,000.
He said Annor claimed that after doing the job, Bishop Obinim failed to give the money to him and instead got some people to attack him, a development which prompted him to report the matter to the police.
DSP Duah said Annor led police investigators to the area where the alleged ritual took place and the items were exhumed.
Even though Bishop Obinim persistently denied ever knowing Annor or sending him to bury the said items, Annor insisted on his allegation and further accused the Bishop of stage-managing his supposed miracles.
Annor alleged that Bishop Obinim contracted people from the Volta Region to be paraded as those he had healed of various ailments.

No comments: