THE Kumasi Metropolitan Chief Executive (MCE), Mr Samuel Sarpong, has given the assurance that the decongestion started in Kumasi about two months ago will be sustained.
He consequently debunked rumours that the assembly had the intention of allowing hawkers back onto the streets and pavements to take advantage of brisk business activities during Christmas.
He said the assembly was determined to sustain the exercise, and asked the people to co-operate with the KMA to ensure its success.
Mr Sarpong stated this at a meeting with representatives of media houses in Kumasi last Tuesday.
The meeting was in recognition of the support the media had given to the assembly since the new government took office and it was used to look for ways to build on what had been achieved so far.
According to him, the assembly had put in extra efforts to ensure that nothing disrupted the successful implementation of the exercise.
He mentioned the recent passing out of 60 city guards after training at the Police Training Depot in Kumasi as one of the measures to sustain the decongestion.
He said Kumasi needed to be kept clean as a way of regaining some of its lost image.
“My administration will not compromise on indiscipline in the metropolis,” he said.
He praised the media for supporting the assembly over the period and asked them to offer constructive criticisms to ensure that the wrongs were corrected.
The Ashanti Regional Chairman of the Ghana Journalists Association (GJA), Nana Yaw Osei, in his remarks, commended Mr Sarpong for his “open administration” which had brought some appreciable level of development to the metropolis within the relatively short period that he had been in office.
He gave the assurance that journalists in the region would criticise where necessary and give praise where praise was due.
“Don’t, therefore, see our criticisms as attempts to torpedo your efforts at changing the face of development in Kumasi,” he added.