Tuesday, December 22, 2009


AN alleged attempted resignation of coach Paa Kwesi Fabin just after Kumasi Asante Kotoko drew 1-1 with Sekondi Hasaacas at the Baba Yara Stadium in a Glo Premier league match last Sunday epitomised the messy situation in which the once-dreaded side find themselves.
Some of the suffering supporters have already started appealing to the Great King, Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, to act to stop the mess before Kotoko sinks into oblivion.
The Graphic Sports learnt that management had to prevail on the coach to drop his decision to resign after supporters hurled insults at him for continuous non-performance.
One hugely disappointed supporter questioned in Twi, "Kotoko paa nie?", literary meaning, “is this Kotoko”?
It was a legitimate question that demands an immediate answer from a management which some of the supporters described as, perhaps, the worst ever in the history of the twice Africa champions.
It is amazing the way the club has become a shoddy outfit in a season in which they purchased some big names on the transfer market.
Ten matches into the league, Kotoko continue to languish in the bottom rungs of the league table, having won just two and drawn five times out of ten games, and the coach, it was alleged, suspected that some of his players were out to sabotage him.
Clearly, Kotoko are in a precarious state, and questions are being raised as to who to blame. Could it be traced to management, supporters, players or the coach? Perhaps some interesting events will unfold in the club in the coming days.
Many had argued the current management lacked the wherewithal to carry the team through these challenging times, but others think otherwise, blaming the situation on the players and the coach.
Uncharacteristic of the Porcupine Warriors, the current management had shielded themselves from media glare, and this may have multiplied their problems.
A match against Hasaacas of today needn’t be a much-feared encounter, but on Sunday Kotoko kept their supporters panting in the hot sun as they struggled to contain their opponents. Their moves broke down in dangerous situations as the Hasaacas defence easily clipped the ankles of the lethargic Kotoko attack.
Indeed, if Hasaacas’ Joseph Ato Bissah who had played phenomenally well had taken his injury time opportunity, the whole stadium would have turned a graveyard, and the consequences could have been very disastrous.
For the umpteenth time, coach Fabin changed his team, raising questions as to when he would get a first team. It was surprising how a raw player like Alidu Mohammed found a way into the starting line-up and demonstrated his ineptitude, roaming aimlessly in the game until he was substituted in the second half.
The coach had argued that he was not involved in the recruitment of players, and even then the team that many touted to be solid was got good after all.
Consequently he needed some time to put things right, but it appears it was taking far too long to carry his plans through, and the impatient cannot continue to wait any longer.
The coming days could see some developments that may make or break barriers in the fabulous club.

No comments: