Monday, August 25, 2008

KSI INMATES DEVELOPING MENTAL PROBLEMS ...Resulting from congestion (PAGE 20)

A NUMBER of inmates at the Kumasi Central Prisons are developing mental problems in what prison officials refer to as psychological problems resulting from congestion.
During a visit to the prisons at the weekend, it came to light that as a result of the congestion, prisoners slept in turns, a situation which compelled some of them to ask whether the congestion was part of their punishment.
Inmates suffering from mental disorders were sent to mental hospitals for medical attention.
The Kumasi Central Prisons, which was built to accommodate 800 inmates, now contains 1,821 prisoners.
The Deputy Director of Prisons in charge of the Ashanti Region, Mr Ambrose Imoru Salifu, disclosed this when members of the Parliamentary Select Committee on the Interior and Defence paid a visit to the Kumasi Central Prisons last Friday.
The visit was to enable the members to acquaint themselves with conditions in the prisons to devise ways of addressing them.
He attributed the congestion partly to the inaction of the police who refused to send remand prisoners to court.
According to him, the warrants for about two-thirds of the remand prisoners at the prisons had expired, but the police had refused to deal with the situation.
Mr Salifu said apart from the mental problems, other diseases, including tuberculosis, had become a constant threat, not only to prison inmates, but also to some of the officers.
He recalled how one prison officer in Kumasi died from TB contracted from an inmate, and said something serious needed to be done about the situation.
Mr Salifu said to help address the psychological problems of inmates, his outfit had taken counselling seriously.
The commander commended the government for extending the National Health Insurance Scheme to officers, their spouses and their children.
He was also full of praise for the President for introducing his Special Initiative on Distance Education to the Kumasi Central Prisons.
He, however, appealed to the government to help solve the accommodation problems confronting the officers.
Mr Eugene Atta-Agyapong, the Chairman of the Select Committee, commended the commander for laying bare the problems facing his outfit, and said they would also execute their constitutional duty by addressing the problems.

1 comment:

moore said...

My name is MOORE I want to share a testimony of how Dr.Osemuhau herbal mixture cream saves me from shame and disgrace, my penis was a big problem to me as the size was really so embarrassing,and i was also having weak erection problem. I can't make love to my wife and my penis was just too small a full grown man like me having 4 inches penis and to worsen it i don't last in sex i cant even last two minutes it was really a thing of shame to me. My wife was really tired of me because my sex life was very poor,she never enjoyed sex,i was always thinking and searching for solutions everywhere until when i saw a testimony of how Dr.Osemuhau herbal mixture cream have been helping people regarding their sex life, so i decided to give him a try and to my greatest surprise in less than one week of taking the herbs my penis grow to 8 inches i couldn't believe my eyes and as i speak now my penis is now 8 inches and i do not have week erection again. I can make love to my wife longer in bed. And my marriage is now stable,my wife now enjoy me very well in bed. can contact him drosemuhau@gmail.com {) or call or what-apps him through +2348168714427